Important Foreign Travellers in India -Lists
1-It is during the reign of Harshavardhana, Hiuen-Tsang visited India.
2. A Morrish treveller Ibn Batuta, visited India during the reign of the Mohammad-bin-Tughlaq. His book “Rehla” highlights the reign of the Mohammad Tughlaq.
3. Marco Polo visited South India in 1294 A.D., he was a Venetian traveller.
4. Al-beruni came to India with Mahmud of Ghazni, He travelled whole of India and wrote a book “Tahqiq-i-hind” the book dealt with social, religious, and political conditions in India.
5. Fa-hien was the first Chinese pilgrim to visit India, he came to India during the reign of the Chandragupta-II Vikramaditya.
6. A Persian traveller, Abdur Razzaq came to India and stayed at the court of the Zemorin at Calicut. He gave a vivid account of the Vijayanagar Empire.
7. William Hawkins was an English Ambassador of the British king James-I to the court of Jahangir.
8. A Venetian Nicolo Conti, visited during the reign of the Deva Raya-I.
9.Sir Thomas Roe was an English diplomat of the Elizabethan and Jacobean periods.
In January 1615, Sir Thomas Roe presented his credentials to the emperor Jahangir as the Ambassador of the King of England.
10.Megasthenese an ambassador of selecus nikator who visited the court of the Chandragupta Maurya.
He wrote an interesting book Indica in which he gave a vivid account of Chandragupta Maurya’s reign.