India- Physical Setting Facts –
* India is located in Northern Hemisphere
*Name India has derived from Indus or Sindhu river
*India’s total geographical area is 3.28 million square km ( 32, 87, 263 sq km).
*India’s place in the world is 7th in area.
* India – North to South distance is 3214 kms.
* India- East to West distance is 2933 kms.
*Standard Meridian of India is 821/2 degree E longitude.
* India North latitudes is between 8 degree 4′ and 37 degree 6′.
*India’s East longitudes is between 68 degree 7′ and 97 degree 25′
* India’s land frontier is 15,200 kms.
* India’s coastline is 7516.6 kms.
*The time difference between Indian Standard Time (IST) and Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is 5 and half hours.
*First sun rises in Arunachal Pradesh.
* Last Sun rises in Gujarat state.
*The time difference between Arunachal Pradesh and Gujarat is 2 hours.
* Total number of islands are 247.
* Tear drop in the Indian Ocean is Srilanka.
* The island between India and Srilanka is Pamban island.
*Srilanka is separated by Gulf of Mannar and Palk Straight.
*The biggest union territory is Andaman and Nicobar where as the smallest union territory is Lakshadweep.
* Tamilnadu stands on three seas.
*Large boarder country to India is Bangladesh.
* The boundary line between India and China is Mac Mohan line.
*The roof of the world is Tibet.
* India’s south tip is Cape Comorin.
*Himalayan Kingdom comes under Nepal.
*Andhra Pradesh coastline is 972 kms.
*The Lakshadweep islands are of Coral origin.
* The Andaman and Nicobar islands are of volcanic origin.
*The biggest state in area is Rajasthan.
* The smallest state in area is Goa.
*The Country closest to Lakshadweep is Maldives.
*The Tropic of cancer passes through Mizoram, Tripura, West Bengal,Jharkhand,Madhya Pradesh,Rajasthan and Gujarat.
* The Tropic of cancer is 23 1/2 degree East Latitude.
*The 82 degree 30′ East Longitude passes through midway of India. It is taken as the standard meridian of India and serves as the Indian Standard Time.It passes through Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh ,Orissa and Andhra Pradesh.
* Seven countries Pakistan,Afganisthan,China, Nepal, Bhutan,Myanmar and Bangladesh have the common l;and frontiers with India.
*The states of West Bengal,Assam,Meghalaya,Tripura and Mizoram have frontiers with Bangladesh.
* The three countries Myanmar,China and India form the North eastern Tri Junction.
*Minicoy is the island in the eighth degree channel.
*Greenwich is near London.It is on 0 degree Longitude.